Friday 8 April 2016

What I eat for breakfast: the overnight oats tutorial

  

What I eat for breakfast: 
The overnight oats tutorial 


I go through lots of breakfast phases. I went through the egg muffin stage, the fruit and yogurt stage, a banana pancake stage, a no breakfast phase, a big breakfast phase and the grab a slice of toast running out the door breakfast phase. 
But at this moment in time I'm going through the overnight oats breakfast phase. 
I'm going to take you through what I eat and more importantly how to make it 

So why are overnight oats so good? 

Various different reasons can answer that question. Here's a few 

* it's one of the easiest recipes ever. There's no cooking involved and it can be made in less than 3 minutes! Yes I'm serious. When you wake up its there waiting for you. All you have to do is eat it. Simple 

* You can serve it either cold or hot. Depending on what mood you are in. If it's a chilly winter morning no problem, warm your belly. Or for those summer days eat it cold. 

* Oats can help reduce cholesterol and they are a great source of whole carbohydrates which are what you need for a fully functionally start to your day. 

* Once you have the basic recipe down you can do so many things to it. Get creative. 




Overnight oats made with oats, cacao powder, cinnamon and almond milk. Topped with blueberries and raspberries 

The Basics 
Throw the dry oats into a bowl. Add whatever fruit you want. Sometimes you may just want to add the fruit in the morning time. You then add something for the oats to absorb so that they can plump. This can be water, yogurt or milk. Put it in the fridge. Overnight the oats will absorb the liquid and when you wake, it's ready to eat. Or take it to work with you.   

The night before 



Add your oats to a bowl. (1/2 cup of dry oats) these can be old fashioned or quick oats. Then a fruit of your choice. I usually use blueberries and sometimes I just add them in the morning if I don't want them squishy. Other fruits I use are apples, bananas, cherries and raspberries. I add some flax and chia seeds for healthy fats and proteins. For liquid I use almond milk. And cacao powder is also a favorite for flavor. Although I do use cinnamon and nutmeg sometimes. Pumpkin seeds are added the night before but I tend to leave crunchy nuts like almonds until the morning to keep them crunchy. 

Step by step 
* add oats to the bowl (1/2 cup) 
* Sprinkle in flax (1 tablespoon) 
* Add chia seeds (1 tablespoon) 
* Add cacao powder (1 tablespoon) 
* Sprinkle some pumpkin seeds 
* Throw in a handful of blueberries 
* Cover the mixture with liquid (almond milk) you can use yogurt for a thicker texture. I don't measure this usually but it's about 1 cup 
* Leave your nuts until the morning to keep them crunchy
* Place in fridge overnight or for at least four hours 


 In the morning 
Throw your dry oats out of the container into a bowl or in a lunchbox to bring to work. The oats have plumped up and you have a healthy filling meal waiting for you to eat! You can add stuff such as peanut butter, almonds or raisins for additional taste. There are so many variations.






Sometimes I like to put the oats into jars. This recipe below is oats, cinnamon, flaxseed, nutmeg, almond milk, cherries, coconut sheers  and pumpkin seeds. 



Variations 
* Fruit: apples, bananas, nectarines, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, cherries. The list goes on..
* Liquid: add yogurt for a thickened texture. Milk or water for a lighter texture. Almond milk, coconut milk, protein milk etc. 
* To sweeten you may add maple syrup or honey. 
* Healthy fats: peanut butter, flax, nuts and seeds. 
* Raisins ,granola, chia seeds or linseed. 



It doesn’t matter what you put in the night before vs. the morning. Just keep out whatever you don’t want getting soggy. I like to keep my nuts until the morning to make sure that they stay crunchy. 

Until next time 
Riadh 

No comments:

Post a Comment