Wednesday 4 January 2017

Living with Anxiety

Can you even begin to conquer those demons that live inside if you do not know anything about them? Or can you be compassionate to one of your loved ones if you think they are making a big deal over something so small?

Understanding anxiety can be hard, especially if you are the one with the cloud over your head.
Image result for anxiety

For as long as I can remember I have been a worrier. I remember back in primary school in 2nd class I got myself so worked up over getting only 5 out of 10 questions right in a book that I was supposed to read. Obviously I didn't finish the book, but the worry of telling my parents for days left me in hospital with swollen glands in my stomach. It sounds so silly now but I bet the things I worry about in my day to day life at the minute will sound silly also in years to come.

It can be hard to function normally and those who suffer probably feel at a complete loss.Lets look at some of the facts. 


FACTS ABOUT ANXIETY 

There are 7 types of anxiety disorders. These include Social anxiety disorder, Post Traumatic Stress disorder, Panic Disorder with or without Agoraphobia, Separation Anxiety, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder,  Specific Phobia and Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Often we will find that multiple types can occur as once, along with other mental disorders such as depression. But the disorders are not uncommon and according to surveys 1 in 4 people will experience some sort of anxiety disorder in their life time. 


I UNDERSTAND 

Everyone is different and experiences different types of anxiety. So I cannot say or feel what each person is feeling. However I know what its like to have no power over your thoughts, mind and life. Its hard to accept compliments, or make decisions easily because your mind may over analyse. 

Most will be well aware what you are living with and may not need to see a doctor. I was quiet aware from an early age and as I grew older trying to ward off the panic attacks is what really made a light spark. You may feel like nothing is safe and nothing is certain. 

At different stages of life its really interesting to watch how it can evolve over your years. As the world becomes more clear and evolves around you. You may be a child with a type of anxiety that gives you night terrors or irrational fears. Or on the other hand you could be an adult who suffers from panic attacks and being in social situations. Neither is less real than the other. 



Being stressed isn't the same as having anxiety. 

Image result for slow down anxiety

5 THINGS TO TRY 

1.Get Busy 
Believe me I know its easier said than done but go for a run, clean your room or even go window shopping. the simple motion of moving your body will help your mind travel with you from your deliberating thoughts. 

2.Ask for help
Do not be afraid to ask for help. Know which friend or family member that you can call or text at any time. Just hearing someone calming voice can really save you from that panic attack. Also consider some professional help if you think that is what you need.  

3. Slow Down
You have power over you mind. Slow your thoughts down and ask yourself to take them captive. Your mind is a muscle you can train so slow your motions down and flex it. 

4.Repeat a go to phrase
Have something that will speak the truth to you. Like a mantra. You only have to get through that moment in time on this day. 'This will not last' and 'One day at a time' would be some of my go tos. 

5. Breathe 
Remember to breathe. Sometimes we hold our breath for too long and we don't notice. In the case of panic attacks there are some great breathing techniques out there that work wonders. Practice your breathing skills when you feel as normal as possible so you can have them down to a T when you need them most. 


Have you faced anxiety? What helps you get over your fear? What tips do you have to control it? 


Feel free to share.

Until next time. 
Riadh X 

No comments:

Post a Comment